Wednesday, November 30, 2005

One of the things that I enjoy doing while I'm on vacation, if time and situation allows, is to read a book or books that go with the surrounding area.
A few years back when my family and a couple of others went down to Baja, I read "The girl of the Sea of Cortez". It helped me understand the area better and I appriciated the mysteries and the nuances of that place and culture.

While in Texas, Jim loaned me a much loved William James book. It was a horse and cowboy story and I promptly finished it in less than two days. (I read alot at night.) I have always been partial to western stories partly because I really like animals and Horses are just such amazing creatures, and partly because that life is sooo far different from my life and I have kind of always had a deep down craving for something harder or more rewarding. The truth is I probably couldn't hold up under that kind of lifestyle but never the less it still fascinates me.
The first book that I borrowed was meant to keep me busy on the plane but because I finished it so fast I had to start another one to do that.
The second one that I borrowed and just now finished was called "Sand". It was a great story of a man who's life has been quite privilaged and who never had much to work for or live up to. Up until then he had been spoiled, aimless and indulgent. He gets lost on the plains and comes across a cow-drive and from there, he sets out on a path to find what he needs to do to become a man with purpose and character. He turns out to have "sand" or gumtion to stick to what needs to be done.
I'll probably be on a "western stories" kick for a while and I'm always up for a good book.
Any suggestions?


3 comments:

David Cho said...

My eyes! The font is so small. You are talking about books, right?

Gretchen said...

I changed the font size to see if it would be better and when I posted, it was painfully small. When I went back to edit the size it wouldn't change back to normal. Sooo the next post won't be so small.

The suggestion question was about books but I appriciate other as well.=0)

Gretchen said...

Thanks Mike, I may just have to borrow that book. =)