Tuesday, November 01, 2005


Happy Halloween!



Halloween found me with time on my hands and no big plans so...... I fixed that, and Chris turned out to be a really good sport. About halfway through our relaxing Monday, I realized that there was nothing planned for this holiday.

Growing up, we always came up with some interesting/wierd/creative homemade costume and it was usually on the actual day of Halloween. We would dig through the costume box and our closests trying to compile the perfect ensemble. The creative rush at the last minute was what made the holiday fun. Yesterday I had the manic desire to rush around and put something together.
It started when I spotted the "mega white trash wig" at Party City..... then the idea grew when Chris found the "JD mullet wig" and bubba teeth. With a few Wal Mart details our costumes were complete. Here is a list of a few key items.

- t-shirt for Chris (one size too small)
- pink plastic high heels - false eyelashes and gobs of makeup
- hideous but fabulous "bubba teeth"
- dangly colorful earrings

- wigs (that will be used alot in the future)
- trashy tank top and sweat shirt

A truly white trash Halloween......
Priceless

It really ended up being alot of fun and I have to say that Chris threw himself into the festivities with zeal despite a bit of reasonable doubt early on. Sooooo fun.

8 comments:

Erin said...

Hi Gretchen! Jim and I are having fun laughing at your picture!! You guys look great...I don't think I'd recongize y'all if I saw all y'all on the street, especially now as it's NASCAR weekend with 210,000 race-crazed fans coming to our tiny little Roanoke nearby. We expect we'll see some people dressed a little like y'all this weekend. :)

ShackelMom said...

Oh my, Gretchen, you do look like a real floozie, and Chris, you are indeed a good sport! What fun!

Gretchen said...

Thank you auntie, that is quite a compliment. '0) I was completely impressed with Chris and his willingness to look the way he did on my whim! A true gem.

Heidi said...

Great costumes! I loved that last minute creative rush every Halloween too. This year, we did it with our girls. I decided that I wasn't going to buy anything for costumes this year. We already have enough dress up/costume stuff to do something with. On Sunday night at the neighbor girl's party, Madeline was a butterfly, and Abby was a watermelon. The watermelon costume was actually a dress with watermelons on it, and three melons on her cheeks and forehead. At the church party on Monday, Madeline was a princess with unicorn toy to ride, and Abby was a cowgirl with horse toy to ride. They had fun both nights.

David Cho said...

Outstanding!!! You two look great.

Gretchen said...

Thank you, David. =)

Nathan said...

Nicely done! Even a little scary! I did something similar last year when we went to an actual Halloween party. I had some bad teeth and a truck driver cap.

Gretchen said...

there really is something strangely fun and satisfiying about dressing up as a wierd character.