Thursday, July 28, 2005

It's cage cleaning day at my house.....


I just cleaned out my chincilla's cage and I'm still sneezing from the volcanic dust that gets
everywhere. for those who don't know chinchilla habits, they need to bathe in a very fine volcanic type dust or sand to get clean. They absolutely love it and Bubba can't stay away from it if I leave it in his cage.

Having a pet really is a chore sometimes no matter how cute they are. When I bought bubba at the local Petco, he was a remedy for my need to be more grounded in my home environment. I was in nesting mode and he was the recipient. Now, one large pet condo, many bags of chin food, a travel carrier, and lots of hay and chew sticks later I'm really feeling grounded.

He's not the most cuddley or affectionate animal but when he stands on his back feet and puts his little paws on my leg and stares up at me with his big blinky eyes I can't help but love the little guy, and it makes it just a little easier to pick up those little poop pellets and wipe up the dust that has covered everything in my living room..........




5 comments:

David Cho said...

Wow, cranking out one a day. That is quite impressive. So do chincillas have a concept of having a master. Does he recognize you and get excited when you come home? Do they wag anything in excitement?

Gretchen said...

I can pretty much predict that this, one-a-day thing won't last for too long. It's still novel.
As much as I would love him to act like a golden retreiver, I believe that Bubba will always be just a little bit wild. He does know me but only really acknowledges me when he's, a) bored silly b) wants a dust bath c) is craving a yougurt drop.

David Cho said...

the agreement will reduce carbon emissions in the countries where they are now rising most rapidly, India and China.

Can somebody explain this to me? Admittedly, I have not closedly followed the debate on the Kyoto protocol other than being hearing predictable babble such as the warning s of a one world government from the right and Bush protecting his friends in Big Oil from the left.

But if the Kyoto protocol does indeed exempt the two populous nations, then it does seem useless to me.

(as a side note, Laura, don't you get notified via email when people leave comments?)

David Cho said...

Ooops, wrong blog. So soooorrrryyy.

Gretchen said...

Yeah I should say so! =) I read it befoe I scrolled down and was like, what??