Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Today I was laughing to myself again over the abnormal circumstances of this past weekend. Starting on Friday, I had three tire blowouts in three days. Not from defective tires but from various pieces of metal picked up in different places.

Friday morning I happily began my day by going to my hair supply shop to pick up products and as I left I remembered that I had left my lunch at home so I ran back to get it. Then I realized that I had enough time to pickup a iced hazelnut latte before I had to be at work. It was one of those really productive feel good mornings that I live for. No sooner had I pulled out of the parking place at the coffee shop, I heard (or felt) the flop of a flat tire. I put on my hazards and made my way into the Chevron station. When I looked there was a large peice of metal sticking out.
I was a little bummed but it really didn't bother me too much. I sipped my coffee, called AAA and work and then waited. I was a half hour late to work but somehow it all worked out fine.

Saturday I got a new back left tire and then proceeded to drive to Santa Clarita to see "March of the Penguins" with my sister and family. Great movie and great company. That evening when I walked out to my car I saw that my front left tire was flat. This time a bolt.
Called AAA again and waited a good two hours to get the spare put back on. I ended up spending the night in Palmdale and getting my tire fixed the next day at Big O tires.
I was on my way home on the 60 freeway and BAM there went my THIRD tire, this time my back right tire had a large bolt sticking out of it.
One of my fears has been having a blowout on the freeway and it wasn't as scary as I thought.
I Called AAA again and found out I'd have to pay 45$ because I'd used up all my free tow truck visits. Oh well. It had to be done. About 10 min later a tow truck pulls up so I get out with my ID and AAA card in hand, and it turns out that this is a free service paid for by our tax dollors. They patrol the freeways and help stranded motorists. So, I didn't have to pay any money to have my spare put back on.
By this time I was giddy with the obsurdidy of the whole thing. I've NEVER had a blown tire in the 11 years since I've had my liscense.

Because of the intensity of the situation it almost seemed super natural and my big question was and is, what do you want to make of this God??? Is there a reason for this crazy weekend??
I know that It really was a bit of an adventure and I do now know alot more about tires than I did on Thursday.... Maybe that is the big meaning, or it could be that my tires were much hotter in the 100 degree heat that they couldn't deflect a silly thing like a bolt....

4 comments:

David Cho said...

You are so giddy about the whole situation that you posted it twice :)

Gretchen said...

Ha,i'm feeling a little silly. I was playing with the blog site and thought that I had lost part of it. So I posted it again. I have now rectified the situation!
I'm still learning!!

Luke said...

very nice blog gretchen! I heard about your tire misfortunes from gma. How weird is that?! Maybe your eleven years is getting you back for the peace of it all. (c: I hope I don't get a flat.. I don't know if I have a spare...

Gretchen said...

For goodness sakes Luke, get a spare! =)
I now know the importance.