Monday, August 22, 2005


"Lurking in the kitchen"


While talking to sister Heidi tonight we got a bit hysterical over this phrase.

I used it in an explanation of a dilema I had tonight with my lovely roommate. Earlier this evening I got really overly emotional about having her boyfriend/future husband over for dinner and tv watching. As it turns out we had both had a very long day and needed different forms of relaxation that required the main living area of our small apartment.
I just wanted to putter around the house in my pj's and use the computer, clean the chin cage and just nest in. She needed to have her significant other come over and have dinner with her and veg out with him.

The dilema that I had was that I really had nowhere else to go to be comfortable. I was completely at a loss. My room is hot and a mess, and the bathroom is out of the question.... and I don't want to "lurk in the kitchen all night".
While telling Heidi this we burst out laughing because it was such a funny picture, this brooding person skulking around the kitchen suspisiously with some ominous music in the background.... da dunt, da dunt......... all very dramatic. I have to admit that when I got off the phone I felt much better.

I then realized that I have been in her shoes before and haven't been as thoughtful or flexible. Regretfully I've been thoughtless towards past roommates in the midst of my bliss. It's easy to do and feel righteously justified in the moment. blechh... Funny how a new perspective changes everything.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Hey Gretchen, I'm so glad you wrote about lurking. Your cartoon is perfect, and I laugh even now as I read it.