Friday, January 27, 2006

My brother-in-law Will, wrote an interesting blog today about the spirit versus theology. I guess that's how to explain it (you'll have to go look).
Growing up near a popular Christian seminary and going to a church that had very good theology and was and still is a very loving and condusive environment to learning, I was faced with some of the same questions that Will is discussing on his sight. I have been a bystander while he and cousin "Tech" comment and have some interesting discussions.

Tonight, (before I took the neices to see "Nanny McFee"), I had a chat with Will about the problem of thinking that if you are well learned in Christianity or any religion for that matter, go to the right schools/seminary, the right church, have the right discussions, grasp the right concepts, then we will be close to God and know Him better. The hunger for God can only truly be satisfied by sitting with God, being humbled in His presence, calling out to Him and communing with Him. I am understaning that more and it's wonderful.
Yes, good understanding of the Bible is essential to knowing better about our Lord, but actually knowing Him as a friend and a saviour requires something different.
It's good life changing stuff when that happens. It softens and strengthens, it humbles and lifts up, it fills the spirit with satisfaction and joy. It's good and I want more of that!


6 comments:

Friar Tuck said...

I checked this out. Kinda interesting bost your BIL has.

Friar Tuck said...

post. I meant to say post

Luke said...

Hear hear on you post Gg!

Munkee said...

In Eastern Christianity a theologian is someone who knows God, as opposed to somebody who knows about God.

Great post.

Friar Tuck said...

WE WANT ANOTHER POST.

:)

Gretchen said...

O.K!!! =)