Monday, September 05, 2005


"Deep thoughts brought on by buying a BRIGHT red car."





I never would have chosen red as my first color but it's beginning to grow on me a bit.

I wanted something less noticable and more dignified like silver or black but I think that I'll become quite fond of this jazzy, not so dignified, look at me color. It's funny but although I wish I was the kind of person that drove a hip yet mellow kind of car, I'm coming to terms with my sometimes deeply distressing yet completely real personality that likes living hard and being noticed (not for being cool) but for being fun or funny. When I try to supress that and desire to be something I'm not like "hip and suave", it comes out really goofy and stilted. It's also kind of uncomfortable.

It's funny that buying this bright red car and driving it around has opened my eyes in a new way to what God wants from me in my journey through life. To rest in the knowledge that who I'm made to be is good. Bright red, sometimes undignified and spastic, funny and sensitive, complicated and at times embarassingly simple. I'm beginning to taste what it feels like to be free.

All from a car......

5 comments:

ShackelMom said...

Yep! That's you and that's wonderful! God is good, and you and your charming, fun, endearing personality as well as your practical wisdom and kind heart are just one evidence on His goodness and His Art. Enjoy your zippy red car!

David Cho said...

OMG! Toyota Matrix. I am in the market for a new car myself and that is what I am thinking about. You will have to let me know how you like it.

Gretchen said...

Hey, David, LOVE THE CAR. Probably because it's my very first new car but also because it drives great and looks kinda neat also. =)

Erin said...

It's so fun to see your FUN car, Gretchen!! I am SOOOO happy that the Lord provided such an amazing deal for you, and is totally taking care of you. I like your fun-loving personality, and this car matches it very well. :)

Heidi said...

Isn't it great to see how God gives blessings, and they are even better because they bring revelation with them? I'm delighted for both the fun of your new cute car, and for you as you enjoy seeing yourself just as God made you. See Shackelmom's comment. :-)