Monday, September 12, 2005

The problem with too much - an observation


Have you ever noticed how the over use of something takes away it's meaning. Like when I was younger, it still happens sometimes, but I would say a word like "stove" and it wouldn't sound right so I'd repeat it out loud or in my head so many times that it was only a sound that had no meaning to it. stove stove stove stove stovestovestovestovestove......


Anyways, today I was listening to a favorite cd and one of the songs was so good that I tried my new 'repeat' feature. Needless to say that song has lost a little bit of it's poignancy. I thought for sure that listening to the song over and over and over and over again would for sure make it better. Alas, I was wrong. I can still sing only half the song with conviction, actually not even half. There's a line in the song that keeps coming back to me and drowing out all the other words which is annoying not only to me but anyone in ear shot who hears me singing that one line absentmindedly over and over again.

So, I guess everyone was right all those years when they said that more is not always better.... it's just more.

9 comments:

Daniel Shackelford said...

(off topic)
I have made the comment links easier to find on the photos. Thank you for your kind words about photos. I can't really take credit for God's creation though...

Gretchen said...

It really is amazing what God has created and the fact that he created you to have the eye and ability to capture such beauty is a gift.
I still need to come out there at some point and visit.

Will De Hart said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Will De Hart said...

Gretchen,

You're a crack up!
chickenchickenchickenchickenchickenchickenchickenchickenchickenchicken

Heidi said...

I was cooking dinner and muttering stovestovestovestovestove to myself just to try it out.

ShackelMom said...

I remember the day I realized that words are just sounds... and 'goop' was the sound that brought this profound thought home. Goop, goop. goop... why does that mean anything? Hair, hair, hair... wierd!

Luke said...

one of my favorite sound words is 'weird'. such a strange sound for an animal to make (not that we're really animals or anything), but think about it.. WEEIIIRD. (c:

Gretchen said...

That is weird..... I love all the comments about words. It show how often that actually happens. It's so easy to over think something and then dissect it.

Nathan said...

I used to experiment with that dissection of sound from meaning too. Wierd.
WierdChickenStove. That seems to make more sense than most monosyllabic words repeated over and over.