Monday, February 06, 2006

I have to say that my new favorite documentery is "Mad hot ballroom". My other favorite is "Spellbound". If you havn't gotten a chance to see either they are both completely heartwarming and insperational.

Today is day #3 of cold watch 2006. I've officially gone through 4 boxes of kleenex and one half roll of toilet paper. My nose is about to fall off and I have NO idea where the snot is coming from! I must truly be dehydrated by now!! This morning I ventured out to the bank and then to Drug Emporium to get some new Kleenex boxes and some saline drops........ all of these "non-medicated" cold remedies REALLY do nothing accept make you think that you are doing something. I mean I'm glad that I can placate my self by sqirting saline water up my nose and I have to say that those "Shower Soothers" really smell good and cut through the congestion. But when all is said and done nothing has made me feel better and now all I want is a FULL dose of heavy medication not only to knock me out but to make my nose STOP RUNNING. Thank goodness no one is living with me at the moment and I can spread out in the living room and read while making piles and piles of kleenex. It's very freeing. Actually at this very moment I am looking over a pile of kleenex on my desk that if I let it will be obscuring the screen by the time this blog is written. *sigh*

Anyways, I'm done complaining. If anyone has some ideas of good movies or books I'm open for suggestions. Right now I'm reading "The Voyage of The Dawn Treader" for the 10th time and love it, but that will be finished by this evening and I have a feeling I may need more time to make this cold go away.

12 comments:

ShackelMom said...

Try an Amelia Peabody mystery by Elizabeth Peters. Joy and Ed and I find them fun, and funny. the first in the series is "Crocodile on the Sandbank."

And I do hope you get over this soon! Homeopathic remedies are ok for pregnant ladies, but it is too late now, as you need to take them at the first sign of a cold.

Gretchen said...

Thanks aunt Luanne, I may get a friend to pick me up a book by Amelia Peabody. Thank you for the suggestion!!

Friar Tuck said...

i remember when I was younger and I would have a killer cold and we used wood heat that I would fill more than one paper grocery bag full of kleenexes and go through over a box a day

I am a big fan of gatorade these days though

and the whole alka selzer cold relief

books...hmmmm.....so many books...

I would get the Anne Lammott book on being a new mother. It is funny, from what I read before I gave it to my sis. It is called Operating Instructions.

Also, I would also recommend God is Closer than You Think by John Ortberg

Gretchen said...

Friar, I'll have to see about getting that Anne Lammott book. It sounds funny. I've heard of the John Ortberg book and it really sounds good.

As for colds I remember carrying around a Trader Joes bag and before they were around we used a regular brown paper bag also. great Kleenex carrier! Actually as gross as it sounds I remember useing a cloth diaper as a cold hankerchief when I was younger. I think it was cheaper than Kleenex and easier on the nose.
Good times.

Fahd Mirza said...

Just start reading blogs randomly. They will not only pass the time but also force the cold to runaway.

Gretchen said...

Thank you Fahd, I do have a list of favorite's that I scroll through when I have time. It does take my mind off the cold. =)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Gretchen, if you haven't read Belle Canto, DO IT! It is a beautiful book, one you will have a hard time coming up out of to do the daily things. I just read another novel by the same author, Ann Patchett-- Patron Saint of Liars-- and became so engrossed that I finished it in two days and got nothing done whatsoever. Sounds like the perfect cold remedy to me! Also, "My Own Flesh and Blood" is a wonderful documentary. The description sounds like it might be hard to watch, but it really isn't. I think you will love it. Hope you feel better.

Luke said...

yeah, i actually noticed that you didn't look so good when you had lunch at gma and gpas last week. was going to mention it, but hustle and bustle. (c: Hope you're feeling better!

Not to outdo you in anyway, but I think I'm coming down with a cold. I feel it vaguely in my nose and throat. Hm. I'll overpower it with my manliness. lol!

I guess I'll wait until next week to talk to you about a possible haircutting...

ShackelMom said...

Luke, now's the time for homeopathic cold and flu!

Luke said...

arrr! I'll fight my way through it!! I feel better already! (c:

David Cho said...

Sigh... so sorry to hear. Get well soon