Wednesday, October 15, 2008


Chris brought home a large box of Icelandic Glacial Water from the concert on Sunday. On the box it says that it is a "Carbon Neutral" product.  This statement, we decided is one of the funniest and most pretentious things we've heard. First of all is it environmentally friendly to bottle glacier water? I mean it's the glaciers that are melting from global warming and we're bottling it in plastic and shipping it across the world and then trucking it to various stores all the while using many forms of energy, gas, coal etc... so that someone can feel good about themselves! I mean isn't it more carbon neutral to just drink tap water? Or even Arrowhead water? 
So, I know that eating local is the big thing right now and for good reason but shouldn't we be pushing the concept of drinking locally too?

In the mean time I'll sip this lovely looking water and wonder if this is what Iceland tastes like?

3 comments:

mary said...

Hi Gretchen, Thanks sparing a bottle for me. I really enjoyed our visit and
sorry about stealing your phone.
BTW I posted the video of Ander on my Blog.
Mary

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious. You are so right-on!

Anonymous said...

Gretchen - I have a very low opinion of the word Islandic. I highly suspect that if you go up to Arrowhead Springs you might find the Icelandic truck filling up. Might be fun to track it down and get the actual spot. Tap water, yea! Poppa